[WT-support] SCP files

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Mon Oct 9 00:17:57 CEST 2006

Hi Tonno

Tõnno Vähk a écrit :

> I have been playing around with this new possibility to have separate SCP files. It's very nice. I suppose most of the people would like to take use of it so that you have different DTB files with exchanges for different contests and then one (or maybe a few) SCP files with full callsign database. Or maybe one local and one global SCP. No need for different SCP for different contests really. Then you can always add new calls to this one large SCP if you want.

In an ideal world, the SCP files (which is actually a raw list of
callsign) should be available for every contest (at least, the major
ones) and for each leg, if several logs were available.

Today, the only public available files are the K5ZD files who collects
several logs from different contests (whatever mode) and provides one
"general" SCP file.

Maybe someday we could get (or build ourselves) our own SCP files from
different choosen criteria (contest, mode, uniqueness criterium etc...).

> So the small problem is that if I have contest specific DTB file like CQWW.DTB with zone exchanges but I want to use a large SCP file in parallel to it then I have to name the SCP file CQWW.SCP because if it is named just HF.SCP then WT takes SCP info also from CQWW.DTB.

To be picky, in this case, WT will even use *only* the DTB file as an
SCP file, if no CQWW.SCP or CQWW.DTA is present.

> So it means that if I have one large SCP file (HF.SCP) I HAVE TO RENAME IT BEFORE EVERY CONTEST:) to get priority over contest specific DTB file.

Definitely. But the idea is *not* to have a large general SCP file. It
is even the contrary with smaller (and more accurate and more adapted)
files per contest. This is the main reason why we split the SCP files
from the exchange files.

> Would it be possible to give any .SCP or DTA file present in WT directory always priority over any DTB file? This would be much more comfortable?

We adopted this choice to ensure back compatibility with current
installations or for users who don't even know the existence of SCP
files (or do not even know what is a SCP file). In these cases, WT
relies on the DTB file.

Once the second step of the job will be completed ("callbook files" to
replace the DTB files and guess exhanges), the DTB files will no more exist.