[WT-support] Problem with wtDxTelnet V2.0

Tim Duffy K3LR k3lr at k3lr.com
Sun Nov 5 02:18:56 CET 2006

Not only were OUTBOUND spots from WT ALT-F3 not going out, no other requests to
the DX cluster were going out from any of the 11 stations on the network.

We like to help other DX cluster users during the contest by spotting DX, so
this issue caused a significant reduction in K3LR DX spots.

The Cable modem connection at K3LR has lots of bandwidth and is super fast. It
is not sharing bandwidth with any other PC systems. Contesting only!

I'd like to hear from other multi ops that had no problems with OUTBOUND
spotting. Maybe there is a setting we are missing? But why does it work for some
time and then stop? Then we must reboot wtDXTelnet to make it work again. We
rebooted wtDXTelnet about 30 times during the weekend.

I am scared for CQWW CW as W9ZRX will not be with us to troubleshoot any
problems.

73,
Tim K3LR

Dave Zeph wrote:

> The Internet Connection is High Speed Cable.  Tim's Cable Company offers
> Service Plans at three different bandwidths and Tim has the higher.
>
> Per my previous message, the Router is a Linksys RV-042 - a higher quality
> Router than their BEFSR/BEFSX Series and packaged in a metal case.
>
> We never looked for the problem before.  The first time I detected the
> problem was when we were trying to use the Spot Sucker.  That's when I
> abandoned the Spot Sucker and instead ran wtDxTelnet on our "Hot Spare."  We
> did not test for this before when we were setting up the PC's, or the day
> before the Contest when I was updating the software.
>
> Previously all we checked was to see if the Spots were coming in and
> populating the BandMap.  The only test of the OUTBOUND Capability was to see
> if it worked after bringing up the LAN.  I never considered needing to check
> wtDxTelnet CONTINUOUSLY to see if it only worked one direction.
>
> As far as duplicating the problem, the SAME problem occurred on two vastly
> different PC's - first the 1Ghz Pentium-III Win-Test Status PC & Spot
> Sucker, and later on the 160 Multiplier PC - an AMD 64 4000+.  The q160
> Multiplier PC is a "hot spare" - it is not connected to any radio equipment.
>
> The problem started before the Contest, and every several hours someone
> would try to send a SPOT and notice wtDxTelnet OUTBOUND was down.  Then I
> would LOGOFF the CONTEST_USER, and then LOG BACK INTO this account to
> restart Win-Test and let Win-Test Auto-Start wtDXTelnet.
>
> 73 ---> Dave, W9ZRX

. perhaps every couple of hours?