[WT-support] Problem with wtDxTelnet V2.0

Olivier F5MZN olecam at f5mzn.org
Thu Nov 2 20:04:23 CET 2006

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the very complete report. I've some questions which could
help us understanding the problem, which sounds quite odd.

> *The problem we experienced, repeatedly, was loosing the ability to SEND
> ANYTHING to the N3RA Cluster.  We always RECEIVED SPOTS / WWV / TALK,
> but consistently lost the ability to SEND SPOTS, or run commands on the
> N3RA Cluster via the Packet TALK Window.  *
>
> * *
>
> This happened at random intervals …. perhaps every couple of hours?
> It’s impossible to give an exact interval because the problem would only
> be discovered when one of the op’s tried to send a Spot and HAPPENED to
> note that it hadn’t been added to the BandMap, or didn’t show up in the
> ALT-O display.  Not everyone had the Packet Window open or was looking
> for the problem.
>

> When this happened, shutting down and restarting Win-Test and wtDxTelnet
> on the 160 Multiplier PC didn’t seem to restore the outbound
> communications.  wtDxtelnet would reconnect to N3RA correctly.  However,
> commands entered via the Packet Talk window on any PC on the LAN would
> NOT “show” on the wvDxTelnet Window – nor would they be transmitted to
> the Cluster.

- Did you try to enter commands in wtDxtelnet itself?

- Did you try to enter commands in WT from the 160 multiplier station
(same computer wtDxTelnet was running on)?

- Was the QSO and GAB received by WT on the 160m multiplier station when
wtDxTelnet was in default?

> All of the PC’s were set up with two accounts – ADMINISTRATOR and
> CONTEST_USER.  The CONTEST_USER account is a Limited Account and was
> purposefully limited to preclude WEB Browsing and other activities
> unrelated to the Contest.  The ADMINISTRATOR Account has a Password –
> the CONTEST_USER does not.  The PC’s are configured to automatically
> boot into the CONTEST_USER Account and load Win-Test.  The simplest way
> we found to reset the wtDxTelnet problem was to LOG-OFF CONTEST_USER,
> and then immediately LOG-IN – restarting Win-Test - which was set to
> automatically load wtDxTelnet.

Actually, regarding your configuration (AMD 64 4000+), you should not
experience any problem in CW. But if any, I suggest to try to run WT
with administrator priviledges, because WT can then configure its
internal timers with higher level of priority. But, as I just said, that
would not be necessary with your AMDs processors.

> This was the only problem we experienced – and we hope that the cause
> can be discovered and fixed before the CQ WW CW Contest.  Tim, K3LR will
> be detailing a list of features / options we’d like added or changed –
> but this problem is one that is REALLY important.

Feel free to make any suggestions.

Olivier / f5mzn