[WT-support] New Computer: Win-Test crashes

Büttner, Bernhard, FCI1 bernhard.buettner at eads.com
Tue Mar 7 13:59:52 CET 2006

Don't know if you received yesterday's message - I had attached a (small) GIF file showing the screenshot of the crashed program but the list server denied it - which I understand. Laurent, if you want it, I can send it to you directly.

1) the interfaces configuration is empty. No COM settings, no LPT, no radio, no network.
2) the setup window closes, the databases and the QSO data is loaded, the windows come up and at then the crash message pops up.
3) DLPORTIO.SYS is loaded.
4) Yes, I have admin rights on this machine.

Dominik, HB9CZF, mentioned Firewall or Anti virus software. There is no firewall configured on this system. Anti virus yes, may be - we use on-demand access, but the system is configured in such a way that I cannot stop the service.

Winfried, DK9IP, pointed me to a forum (http://www.chip.de/c1_forum/thread.html?bwthreadid=797248) which contains a lot of information regarding this very problem. It seems to be a very mysterious story. I tried some of the recipies mentioned but to no avail. Sometimes the program started OK immediately after changing somthing on the system (like installing a new printer, disabling a service, renaming a directory) but then failed again with the next try. Today I found that starting the program five times in a row, there is a 50% chance that in one try it will not crash with this strange message and run just normal.

I wonder if the memory address would tell you guys something? Maybe there is a hidden bug in the software (dangling pointer, uninitialized memory etc.) and some security function inside XP prevents the program to continue; but due to some race condition this is not always detected. Just an idea...

73 Ben, DL6RAI