[WT-support] some observations

DM9CM at web.de DM9CM at web.de
Wed Mar 1 21:38:25 CET 2006

Hi to all,

last weekend:

1. REF - for the first time! Very debonnaire and friendly but challenging also: while turning over the band finding a QSO, "yes, this is French", but not been able to say if this is an all-day-QSO or a contest-QSO, does it just started or is it close to finish ... and on the first day not even able to understand the numbers :o( - it healed a bit the second day. ;o)
!I have to do something about that, to enable myself to work our neighbours!

2. CQ-160_SSB - two nights with long knives and without any valid band-borders

>> wt 2.28.0, keep in mind: to me wt is the best contest-logging program i've ever seen <<

 - why you included an OFFTIME-function in the REF-cabrillo-log although it is not necessary for this contest (in that particular rule-translation i read), but failed to put such a function in the CQ-160 where a single-op is only allowed to work 30 hours - is it up to the contester to do this manually?

 - when one works two contests simultaneously and therefore opens two instances of wt, only the first opend wt is able to get contact to the transceiver because of the exclusive link to the com-port and DX-cluster was not possible, because the second wt opend realised that "the other computer/s in the network is/are not configured for" this particular contest, of cause - it was no problem this time, in CQ-160 a single-op is not allowed to use cluster-help and no band-changes were necessary (naturally! ;o) - but how to manage to work two contests at a time with wt? Maybe nobody tried before and to the majority it makes no sense to work two contests at a time?

 - saw this in PACC first while working a local contest at the same time with a different logging software: it's quite common to change fields in logging (and other) -software with the TAB-key - in wt it is the proper way to jump to tx-rapport, if you do this accidentially (after typing the call) and hit TAB again to get where you want, you are able to log a dupe without warning!

 - the band-change-arrows are clear: up is up, down is down - but in the bandmap and other windows going up a band or the frequecy, is going down graphically - not exactly what one would call "human-engineered" // maybe in wt it is that way for such a long time that nobody wants to "re-learn" ...?!? Yes, i'm a rookie with this program!

 - with my rig communication between pc and transceiver is awfully slow (IC-775, microHAM USB-cat-interface, USB2, Centrino740, 512MB) - the interface claimes to be able to make 38.400bps, the only speeds communication was possible at all were 9k6 and 19k2 (but very very slow! Sometimes could make and log a QSO before frequency was up-to-date ... ok, just nearly ;o) - any ideas where to find the problem?

 - when i jumped to a frequency by clicking a row in the DX-cluster-announcements and crossing the "10MHz-border" while doing so, i always landed on the wrong side-band (e.g. been on 20, jumping to 80, trx is still on USB and vice versa), clicking the same announcement-row several times changed to the right side-band finally - most of the time, sometimes it had to be done manually?!?

 - after jumping to a frequency by clicking a row in the DX-cluster-announcements i found no way to get back to the last frequency on the last band i worked - [Alt-F4] did not work.

 - nice feature of wt to be able to redefine keys, but did not manage to redefine "#" with "/p" (wich is the classical application-case), without using an extra-software like "KDrive32".

I'm curious to learn which of the difficulties/problems lay in front of the computer ;o)

All the best

vy 73's Carsten DM9CM