[WT-support] DA0HQ and Win-Test 3.0.6-hq

Christian Janssen cjanssen at bndlg.de
Tue Jul 11 20:46:10 CEST 2006

Hi Larry,

>> 1) Multiplier display of HQ stations shows wrong callsigns. HQ
>> designators are fine and the band-by-band display is correct, but
>> UY0ZG is displayed on the line for AARA (should be ZA1A),
>> DL2VM as AARC (should be P40HQ),
>> DL5APW as IARU (should be NU1AW/8),
>> DL3AKI as REF (should be TM0HQ) etc.
>>
>> See screenshot da0hq_hqmulti.jpg
>

> And I guess, that once the file is reloaded, it works ! Isn't it ? We
> also detect it @ TM0HQ. We have to investigate on that.

Yes, indeed I restarted the log (we didn't have to restart in the
contest because WT and Windows were stable) and there are more correct
multipliers, but still some wrong. See screenshot da0hq_hqmulti_1.jpg.

>> 2) Some suggestions for partner mode
>> a) remove callsigns from partner window when they are put in the log
>>    (otherwise you have to manually remove them all the time)

> I don't get it ?! If you hit Alt-1, Alt-2 etc... the callsign is grabbed
> (and removed) from the partner wnd, and transferred in the log. But we
> can also consider to remove it if you enter the same callsign "by hand"
> in the log.

Thats what we meant. If you put in the callsign by hand, then the call
still remains in the partner window.

>> b) could the standard color scheme for new mults, new stations
>>    stations worked also be adopted in the partner window?
>

> Noted. The only drawback is that part of callsigns may be wrongly
> detected as new mult...

OK, but thats the same problem with wrong cluster spots. "TEST" is
mostly also shown as new multiplier...hi.

>> 3) DA0HQ had an impressive network of 30 or so stations altogether.
>> Unfortunately after an hour into the contest We had to disable the
>> sync feature because traffic/CPU usage got too high on the server.

> Yep. We also got some problems @ TM0HQ. It finally worked so-so with
> some work on the network (several bridged servers), but it has to be
> optimized in such a configuration (many stns, several thousands of Q,
> and limited bandwidth).

>> 4) Somehow we managed to start the tunnel application twice which
>> lead to kind of looping problems. After loosing the internet
>> connection we closed the tunnel. wtTunnel.exe didn't show an icon in
>> the taskbar but still was running in the task manager. Not being aware
>> of that fact we started the tunnel again and had the tunnel running
>> two times. We suggest you modify that application to be aware of
>> another instance of the program running, probably by using a fixed
>> port for the outgoing connection. When that port is already in use, a
>> new instance of wttunnel.exe  cannot bind to it and will fail to start
>> up properly.
>

> I guess you're speaking abt WtTunnel *client* ? Did you use the version
> 1.5 ??? Suggestion noted.

It was the WTTunnel client version 1.5.

>> 6) Allocation of yones of UA9 station often didn't match
>

> What country file did you use ? Option / Data files / Country files...

We used the CTY.DAT. Thanks for that hint. There is also a CTY_WT.DAT
with more accurate lookups for russians callsigns. We better should have
used that...?

>> 7) We had the problem that calls where logged before the contest. In the
>> big network it wasn't possible to get rid of them when contest started.
>

> You had to :
>
> - Disable sync on all machines (you could use a remote command NOSYNC).
> - Clear all logs (Edit / Clear all Qso...) on all machines (you can also
> use a CLEARLOGNOW remote command)
> - Re-enable sync on all machines (you could use a remote command SYNC).

I know that, you know that, but with that amount of stations you hardly
can tell all of them to do that. All were very keen on beginning the
contest. Maybe next year.

Vy 73s de Chris DL1MGB