[WT-support] Trouble with SO2R advanced and alternate CQ

Olivier F5MZN olecam at f5mzn.org
Thu Jan 26 22:45:11 CET 2006

Hello Luc,

> My problem is the following :
> In SO2R advanced mode playing an AlternateCQ-scenario there is no delay
> between the first CQ on Radio1 and the following CQ on radio 2 (and back),
> so it is not possible to detect any call anwering the CQ. But it's still
> possible to stop the CQ depressing any key. I looked for a $variable like
> $DELAY or anything like that, but whithout any success.

In SO2R advanced, you don't need a such delay with the Alternate CQ
(except you Fabio, I remember your QRM problems! hi) because the normal
way is to automatically switch the headphone to the radio which is not
transmitting. That way, you don't need any delay (and, of course don't
loose any transmitting time).

RADIO A		RADIO B
Calling CQ	Listening
Listening	Callsign CQ
etc

As soon as you type something on the keyboard (in other words, as soon
as someone reply to you), the Alternate CQ mode stops. Then, you can do
the QSO, and even continuing transmitting on radio "B" during the RX
time of radio A. Win-Test will manage this for you. Just focus your
attention on RX.

Actually, it is not enough to only switch automatically the TX radio.
The "secret" is also to get the headphone controlled by the software.
This is even more interesting in CW, because you don't need to listen
what you are transmitting: you can always listen the "scondary" radio
during the transmitting periods (looking for multipliers, for example).
It is one of the advange of the scenarios: you can control the headphone
status according to the moment of the QSO.

Okay, I must confess that it needs a bit practice to become familiar
with this (and even with, it is easy as himself "hey, which radio am I
listeting to right now?" :)

FYI: http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/3830/2006-January/115402.html
where Jose CT1BOH explain how he get advantage using the advanced SO2R
mode.

I hope I have been clear enough!

Olivier / f5mzn