[WT-support] Cabrillo Importing

Werner Maier werner at maiers.de
Sun Dec 10 20:21:53 CET 2006

Sorry guys,

I don't think you got my point.

> in computing one size doesn't always fit all (not yet at least).

of course. and not only in computing.

> It is true however, that using WT on a day to day basis, makes
> one much more familiar with all shortcuts need to be recalled
> in a short time during a contest.

that excactly is the reason why I'm asking for it.
And: It might have positive effects for testing as well,
as the new version can be used "live" immediately.

> My preference would be to keep WT well focused as a contest
> application and therefore any deviations to be undertaken
> by the operators e.g. the use of ancillary tools.

I agree by 100%.

WT does everything I need for logging - it stores
date, time, mode, call, rsts/rstr.

I don't need any additional tools in WT.

All log combining, log converting and so on
should be done in external tools.

I just ask for an import possibility for the DXpedition mode.
nothing more and nothing less.

Then I could do all necessary things by "third party software".

The thing would be:

1) export all contests or dxped.mode-logs by Win-Test or older
   ones by Writelog or historical ones by CT to Cabrillo.
  (this can be acomplished by each logging software itself -
  WT does not need to do anything here).

2) merge all these cabrillos together.
  (this can be acomplished by LM4, BV, and many more).
  WT does not need to do anything here).

3) ==> this and only this is the point:
  It is not (yet) possible to import those cabrillos
  to DXped mode into wintest. If I import as any contest,
  and alter Contest to dxpedition mode, I would loose some
  QSOs as they would be on "non contest bands" during the
  import.

As each contest mode in WT is handled simliar, in each mode
there is an export (adif, cabrillo, csv,...), and there is
an import (cabrillo). And WT does only import it's own
headers, but that is not critical, that can be fixed with
text editors.

But in DXpedtion mode, there is only export to ADIF.
I understand: it is nearly impossible to IMPORT ADIF,
as that would blow up the code and it would open
"a bottomless pit" - because ADIF is quite open in its
definitions.

But it should be possible to write an Cabrillo style export,
and to read an cabrillo style export. That is all.
I even think it would be ok if there would be a loss of
information, (name it: contest exchanges and info field,
maybe even network station), as there is no place for it
(at least the info field) in the cabrillo format.
just basic qso data: "date time mode band call rsts call rstr"
would be enough, I think.

Even an "proprietary" Win-Test CSV would be ok, if documented.
But as for Import only "Cabrillo" or "Editest" is possible,
I guess Cabrillo with the known backdraws (possible loss of
information) would be better as it would not introduce
general new code into WT.

73s de Werner DL4NER.
--
Dipl.-Ing. Univ. Werner Maier