[WT-support] strange crash of WT 3.07

Rudolf Schwenger Rudolf.Schwenger at t-online.de
Thu Aug 24 15:22:04 CEST 2006

Let me express my sincere regards to the developers of WT.

Before I report on a very strange behaviour of version 3.07 of WT, let me describe my set-up:

GERICOM NB, 1GHz, 1GB DRAM
WINDOWS XP prof
WT 3.07
TRX (IC-781) switched off
microHAM microKEYER switched off, USB ROUTER deactivated

Here is what happens:

When configuring WT for the forthcoming IARU-Regio 1 FIELDDAY and testing the programme, I run into the problem that the programme crashes as soon as I type in a call sign starting with a "W" and followed immediately by any number. Example: When I want to log W3DZZ, the programme will crash when I enter the figure "3".

This will only happen, if the n+1 window is active, i.e. displayed on the screen, irrespective of whether the n+1 window has been opened first or last or somewhere in the sequence of opening the various windows.

Of course I have not tried all the theoretical constellations of combinations of windows and sequence of opening them and of course I have not tried all possible call sign configurations.

However I have tried the following prefixes with the n+1 window active: DL, DJ, F5, G3, IV3, EA6, K3, GI4. They all work fine with the n+1 window active. However, the moment I type in W plus any figure, WT crashes. To be more exact: If I say crash that means that a message will pop up which says something like "a severe problem has occured; the programme will be shut down. The error message can be found when pressing xyz. Would you like to send a report on this fault to MICROSOFT?"

Of course, I don't really need the n+1 window, however, I am a bit frightened that there might be some other instability in the programme or in the combination of  WT, Windows XP prof and the NB I am using. And such instabilities certainly would be the very last thing I want to see in a Fieldday in which many OPs are involved - especially since the forthcoming FD will be the event, when we will use WT for the first time in a FD.

There is another shortcoming of WT for the FD. All the active participants in the FD use a call, which consists of the station call sign plus a "/p". And of course the "/p" makes a big difference for scoring.

Unfortunately the layout of the German keyboards is such that the "/" is on top of the numerical key "7", i.e. in order to generate A "/" you have to press the shift key and then the "7"-key, which inevitably requires that you use two hands for typing, and this of course is a big disadvantage in high speed contesting.

I realize and I have successfully tested the WT-feature to redefine any keyboard key. And of course I have redifined the "ü", the "ö", the "ä" and the "-" - key to generate a "/". This works fine. It would, however be very much more helpful, if the pressing of these keys would not just generate the "/" but the complete string of "/p". This way you  would spare one pressure of a key (the "p"-key) in around 70% of all QSOs which at a rate of a thousand QSOs or more in the FD-contest saves around 700 times pressing the old "p"-key. Quite a saving!!

Thank you very much in advance for looking into these two problems.

vy 73 de Rudolf, DJ3WE