[WT-support] Overlays

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Fri Aug 18 20:02:43 CEST 2006

Hi Dave

Dave Zeph a écrit :

> Larry .... I'm sorry that my question bothered you.

It doesn't.

> Apparently you think
> "Overlays" are "self0-explanatory."
>
> I am aware of the rules for different contests - not all, but some.  However
> I don't remember the Contest Rules specifying the use of "Overlays" or
> recommending the use of "Win-Test Overlays."

Example : CQWW WPX have category-ovelays for "Tribander and single
element antennas" or "Rookie".

Quote from the 2006 CQWW WPX rules :

http://home.woh.rr.com/wpx/2006WPXRules.pdf

> IV. Terms of Competition (for all categories):

(snip)

> Categories: Note—CATEGORY and CATEGORY-
> OVERLAY** names for use in the
> CABRILLO file header are shown in (italics).

(snip)

> **The next two categories shown below
> require an additional line in your Cabrillo
> logfile header called CATEGORY-OVERLAY.
> See paragraph XIV(d).
> (e) Tribander/Single Element (TBWIRES)**:
> Tribander (any type) for the high
> bands with a single feedline from the transmitter
> to the antenna, and single-element lowband
> antennas (wires) category. During the
> contest an entrant shall use only one (1)
> tribander for 10, 15, 20 meters and single-element
> antennas on 40, 80, and 160.
> (f) Rookie (ROOKIE)**: To enter this category
> you must have been licensed as a radio
> amateur three (3) years or less on the date of
> the contest.

I'm sorry but I can't say more. Abt the whys and hows of these
category-overlays, I can't answer ! I guess the directors of these
contests should be able to reply, as they invented them.

WT only permits to specify it if you enter in thses "sub-categories".

Of course, the K3LR station is not concerned with this setting as
(AFAIK) it always enters as Multi-Multi.