[WT-support] QTC receive

Werner Maier werner at maiers.de
Fri Aug 11 23:05:26 CEST 2006

Hi,

> It's my first WAE effort...didn't notice that QTC's were only one way exchanges.

You're welcome - and QTC's are lot of fun, as you never can get that much points
in that time else - each QTC counts as much as a QSO.

> I'm still curious however...Does the program look to see whether the
> registered callsign and/or locator grid is in or outside of Europe and
> bring ups either a QTC RX window or a QTC TX window?

no, just press CTRL-L für QTC TX.

> And from an operating standpoint, if I send a station 3 entries in
> my first QTC,  what is the typical echange for re-working a station
> a 2nd time. If I call a guy a 2nd time in a "normal" contest I'll
> get a "Dupe!"  or "K2TA B4".

you just ask "QTC de K2TA?" or "QTC?".
if the other station is willing to accept QTCs now, they'll come back
like "QTC de?" or similar. So don't mind to make a "dupe contact" for
it, as it is oftend needed.

but be advised: it is somewhat critical to send all QTCs you have,
as not all europe contesters are willing to receive QTCs.
QTC RX is the hard part in the contest as you have to log them all.
And some of the "just 1 hour contest after dinner" guys don't like
them all.

At the end of your time you may have lot's of QTCs left - so it is
the trick to meet the small gab between sending to less QTCs because
of a good run and to send all qtcs (and so breaking a good run).

some ops do it like that:
the do a run and if a EU-station asks for QTCs they just send 2 or 3
not to break the run too long.
if it is going slower, they send 5 qtcs or even 10.

> Or should I sit out the first hour of the contest to listen
> and learn from the other guys?

just have fun.
You'll learn best by doing.

and don't forget to switch the specials on, as to see
how many qtcs would be possible (in log window and in
radio window/cluster spots). See docs.win-test.com for more.

Werner DL4NER / DP4N
--
Dipl.-Ing. Univ. Werner Maier
http://www.maiers.de/