[WT-support] US zone guessing in CQWW

Ben DL6RAI wintest at dl6rai.muc.de
Mon Oct 31 23:41:39 CET 2005

> Here is how the guessing is supposed to work (BTW, it applies for all
> zones, not only US stations):
>
> 1/ Search if the station has been worked on another band
> 2/ If not found, search is the CQWW.DTB file (which contains all current
> SCP file stations, and US zone is extracted from the current FCC database).
> 3/ If not found, search in the CTY_WT.DAT, if present (or CTY.DAT if
> not) exceptions.
> 4/ If not found, take the default country zone

Hello Laurent,

Thanks for the details - I expected some logic like that.

I think we had the latest files and it behaved like I descibed
but will check if that is true. However, something must have
gone wrong in step (2) because the zone always showed 05
unless we had worked the station before. Interestingly, the
zone guessing works right with the UA9's and UA0's - which proves
it can be done right.

There is no doubt that the operator will have to copy what was
sent - however, when I hear the QSO partned say the default zone,
I'd like to save myself two keystrokes (SPACE and 4 or 3
respectively).

Gee, what kind of problems we are discussing here... this is
really nit-picking I must admit! I forgot to mention that
all of the six OPs at DQ4W were very comfortable with WT for
the whole weekend.

73 Ben
--
DL6RAI