[WT-support] US zone guessing in CQWW

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Mon Oct 31 18:55:18 CET 2005

Hi Ben

Ben DL6RAI a écrit :

> During last weekend's CQWW SSB, I realized that WT's CQ zone
> guessing on US stations is wrong if the US station is outside
> the 1,2,3,4-call area.
>
> A test brings up the following:

(snip)

Here is how the guessing is supposed to work (BTW, it applies for all
zones, not only US stations):

1/ Search if the station has been worked on another band
2/ If not found, search is the CQWW.DTB file (which contains all current
SCP file stations, and US zone is extracted from the current FCC database).
3/ If not found, search in the CTY_WT.DAT, if present (or CTY.DAT if
not) exceptions.
4/ If not found, take the default country zone

Thus, if you want to modify the behaviour for W5, W6 etc... you must
modify the current CTY_WT.DAT. BTW, Mike F5IN already patched a previous
CTY_WT.DAT to add (among others data) these exceptions. You can find it
here :

http://download.win-test.com/databases/CTY_WT_MOD.DAT

(Note : this file is *NOT* up to date with the current CTY.DAT).

Hope this helps