[WT-support] Win-key

Simon Pearson lists+wt at attenuate.org
Tue Nov 29 11:18:41 CET 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 09:56 -0000, Don Beattie wrote:
> Secondly, the function keys and paddle speed would separate (at one time,
> the paddle was at 12 wpm and the keys at about 35 !) This happened no
> matter which way the box on separate speed for paddle and keys was ticked
> in the WinKey say-up window (we tried both ways)
>
> But I understand that there is a necessary firmware upgrade for EZMaster
> which may be part of the problem on one station here. But on the other we
> were using stand-alone old WinKey, with the same problem.

Hmm, very interesting indeed.

I seem to have the same issue with my MicroKeyer also - I can confirm
that the speed sent from the PC via the WinKey is not the speed which it
claims to be (i.e. 40wpm sounds more like 28).

I can also confirm that ticking the WinKey setting within Win-Test to
'enable indendant speed settings between COM port and key' does also
reveal issues in difference of speed between PC-generated CW and
hand-keyed CW. If I put both to, say, 40wpm, the PC-generated CW still
sounds like 28wpm whereas the CW from the paddle *does* sound more like
40wpm.

However, the plot thickens. Now, the difference in speed between the PC
generated CW and the CW generated by the paddle only occurs after
sending a message from the keyboard. If both are set to 40wpm, hitting
F1 to send CQ the actual message is sent (albeit slow), but then if I
send something from my paddle, it sounds much faster than what was sent
from the PC (and indeed, it sounds faster than 40wpm).

Hitting F1 once again to resend the CQ message sends the message at the
same speed as before (whatever that is!) and the CW on the paddle is
still much faster; but press F1 and after the message has sent, hit ESC
(perhaps a few times). You will now notice that the CW sent from the
paddle is now back at whatever it was prior to sending any PC generated
message (somewhere between 22-28wpm) - but not forgetting that both the
speed settings for the PC generated CW and paddle generated CW are at
40wpm.

So, looks like it's time to pass this issue over to  Laurent/Olivier;
any ideas guys?

Simon Pearson M0CLW
WWYC #452 | G6PZ CG