[WT-support] Wintest 2.14 in WPX-CW

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Tue May 31 11:09:43 CEST 2005

Hallo Ben and tnx for your post

Bernhard Buettner a écrit :

> First time ever we tried Wintest in a serious contest (WPX-CW) and we
> are absolutely hooked. Olivier seems to know what he is doing! None
> of the team members had and problem and we were surprised how
> intuitive and stable the program was. There was not a single glitch
> in the entire contest. We logged 4465 QSOs in the M-2 category
> scoring ~11 million points using two stations and four OPs (DL1MGB,
> DK4YJ, DK9TN and myself).

Glad you enjoyed Win-Test.

> 1) ctrl-A and ctrl-E in the callsign field. I regularly type with my
> left hand and I use these combinations to get to the beginning or the
> end of the callsign. I know that you can use ctrl-Left and ctrl-Right
> but that requires two hands.

You're right. None of these "unusual" edit keys of CT is implemented.
Certainly because none of the FY5KE team members use them ;-)

But, in the meantime :

1/ You can use the Home and End keys instead (one hand is needed only)
2/ DEFINEKEYS is your friend (or Options / Define keys). You can remap
Ctrl-A to the Home key and Ctrl-E to the End one.

Anyhow, we'll consider the native addition of these two edit keys.

> 2) ctrl-PgUp: Move 24 hours back in the log. Nice to see what you did
> around this time on Saturday.

Good idea. Tnx.

> 3) I would like to see ctrl-G moving to the end of the log when you
> are ready editing something above. Maybe the behaviour can be changed
> so that when the input field in the "Goto qso..." window is left empty
> the default focus will be on the "End" button in that window.

We could be able to arrange something like that.

In the meantime, Ctrl-End yet moves you to the end of the log and guess
what ? Ctrl-Home moves you to its start ;-) But we fully understand
that, in the "middle of the battle", and if you don't remember these
shortcuts, it's not so easy.

One more remark : In the Ctrl-G dialog you can enter "end" or "start" in
the edit field, which also avoids using the damned mouse ;-)

> 4) Then I have a question: How does the program know what my RUN
> frequency is? When I move to a new band, I start calling CQ and
> immediately check the band map for any spotted multipliers worth
> working right away. Jumping to their frequency works fine, but
> when I hit Alt-F4 to get back to my run frequency, the program
> jumps back to the RUN frequency on the previous band. After some
> time this phenomenon goes away but I don't understand the mechanism.

I defined the RUN freq. being the last freq. where you worked 3 stations
in a row (+/- 100 Hz). I know it is quite empirical, but I wanted to
avoid the user to be obliged to use a keystroke to define his RUN freq.

This feature has the drawback you mentionned above. If your last 3 QSO
in a row were on 20, and you move to 15 and enter 1 or 2 QSO only, the
last RUN freq is still defined on 20 at that time ! Of course, I could
have decided the RUN freq to be cleared after a band change, *BUT*
you're a single-op with one radio and grabbed a spot on another band,
you must not lose your RUN freq ! Maybe I can arrange a different
behaviour if you're a multi-op vs single-op ? I'll think abt it.

> 5) After almost two days of using the program, every team member had
> his own setup of windows, fonts, etc. So after every shift change,
> people started clicking around here and there to match the setup
> to their liking. Did you think of User Profiles which could be
> used together with the OPON/OPOFF feature? Someone even suggested
> roaming profiles but that may be a little too much to ask.

We already thought abt that. And it's on our (long) todo list. But it's
not sure it will be implemented in this version 2. Tnx for suggestion,
anyway.