[WT-support] Software review and advanced SO2R mode

F6IFY f6ify at free.fr
Thu Apr 14 17:50:23 CEST 2005

> I am now writing a review of Win-Test for the US National
> Contest Journal (NCJ).  I have the software fully operational
> on my SO2R setup, and am able to understand most aspects of
> it pretty well, but I would be glad to hear from users as to
> what they find the biggest strong points of the software (as
> well as any deficiencies that you feel need improvement).

+ The strong point is the support: Olivier and Larry are very active on this
list.
+ Stability. No crash experienced for a long time.
+ No need of a monster PC (4GHz with TB of memory)
+ Direct access to Hamcap (VE3NEA)
+ Support of my multikeyer MK1100 (W5XD)
+ networking is really stable (IP) and easy to set.
+ CT (K1EA) look and feel.
+ SO2R with scenario

- I hope RTTY support one day, it is for my point of view what is missing in
Wintest.
- M/M/M synchronisation on the fly need improvement (maybe with a central
repository).
- The online doc, often not up to date.

> I have one specific question, having to do with the Advanced
> SO2R mode, for which very little documentation seems to be
> available on either the Win-Test or Hamradiosolutions web
> sites.  Does this mode actually require the EZMaster, or can
> any or all aspects -- scenarios, etc. -- be implemented with
> another SO2R controller, such as the DXDoubler?  In exploring

It works well with my MK 1100 Multikeyer (W5XD)

> this feature, I found that the modify scenarios dialog seems
> to provide a variety of different message configurations,
> with the idea that one can switch easily from a short CQ to a
> long CQ, for example, but I could find no explanation of the
> coding used in the various scenarios.  Unaccountably, the
> Reference Manual does not seem to contain any discussion of
> the Operating drop down menu, and pressing F1 from any of
> those dialogues points me to a non-existent wt.hlp file.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> The World HF Contest Station Database
> was updated 16 March 2005