[WT-support] OmniRig & CW keying

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue May 4 07:12:44 CEST 2021

Frank,

There's a much easier solution.

The IC-9700 defines *two* virtual serial ports.  Let's say they are
assigned to COM5 (A) and COM6 (B).  You can find out which is A and which
is B by looking at the Windows Device Manager, Ports, COM5, Properties,
Details, Device Instance Path.  The last letter indicates which is COM A
(rig control) and which is COM B (can be used for CW / PTT via DTR and
RTS).  For screenshots see my recently updated presentation:
https://bit.ly/USBserial2021 .

Assign COM5 to OmniRig Rig 1, Radio:  IC-9700.

In Win-Test set *Radio 1* type to *OmniRig*.
Do not select *COM5*.
Set *COM6* to "Other Interface" in Win-Test, with *DTR=CW*, *RTS=PTT*

In the IC-9700 menu:

SET > Connectors > *USB Send/Keying*
Set *USB SEND* to *USB(B) RTS*
Set USB *Keying(CW)* to *USB (B) DTR*

Now OmniRig uses COM5 for rig control and Win-Test uses COM6 for CW and PTT
with DTR and RTS keying.  Connect paddle into radio for hand sending.  I've
just updated my IcomScripts to support the IC-9700 scope and other
controls.  Still testing.  Will send you off list.