[WT-support] Beginner questions

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Nov 8 00:04:55 CET 2019

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 2:42 PM Duane Traver <wv2bduane at gmail.com> wrote:

> Got a 1/4” phone plug to db9 interface, and db9 to USB adapter/cable (only
> have 2 USB ports, one hdmi port, and one 15 pin port on the computer).
>
> After I start win test, as soon as the logging screen appears, the blue
> light in the interface lights up, and just continuously keys the radio.
>
> Set it up with suggested settings for the IC 706 MK II. USB com port 3.

Need more details about your interface type.  Homebrew?  Try this:

   1. Disconnect the keying cable from the radio
   2. Start Win-Test
   3. Type *SETUP* [Enter] in the Win-Test logging window
   4. Next to the COM port for your keying interface (COM4?), check the box
   and set the device type to *Other interface *then click *Configure*
   5. Set DTR=CW, RTS=PTT
   (These were probably set to default to Always ON, which will cause it to
   key the radio)
   6. Click *OK*
   7. Reconnect your keying cable to the radio and test CW

Where do I go from here? Computer imbecile here, sorry. 😉 It wound be nice
> to have voice keyer functions, but considering I can’t even get the cable
> going might be more than I can manage.

Voice keyer function will require a sound card interface to your IC 706 MK
II mic input.  Once you have that connected, check the box next to *Enable
soundcard *in the SETUP menu and select the PC sound card as the Voice
Keyer device.  Click *OK* to save the changes.  Press Shift+F1 to program a
message, F1 to play back.  You will probably have to connect your MIC to
the PC sound card to record the messages.