[WT-support] Win-Test & 4O3A Interface Genius

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Sat Sep 1 23:11:17 CEST 2018

On 08/26/18 13:39 PM, Steve Maki wrote:

> On 08/26/18 11:42 AM, Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:
>
>>     I'm still using my 30 year old FT1000D. I assume your scripts access
>>     a radio's built in keyer and voice memories (if available). I don't
>>     have the Yaesu DVK unit.

>> The FT-1000D provides no software commands to control the radio's
>> keyer.  So in this case, a WinKey would be the way to go, though I
>> think you'd be much happier if you can find a way to upgrade to a
>> modern transceiver.  Radio technology has advanced immensely in 30
>> years. According to careful measurements made by Rob Sherwood, NC0B,
>> the FT-1000D close-spaced (2 kHz) dynamic range is only 69 dB, which
>> means you're going to hear much more QRM while using an FT-1000D in a
>> contest than you are going to hear with a modern radio.  See:
>>
>>     http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

> Oh yeah I've visited his site many times over the years. Thought for
> sure I'd have a loaded K3s by now, but now seem to be at a fork in the
> road with Flex SDR looking attractive, and can't seem to pull the trigger.

>>     I've tried the sound card alone method, but have not succeeded in
>>     getting Win-Test to mute the mic during message playback.

>> Yup, Windows changed the audio programming interface, so the Win-Test
>> "mute the mic" feature no longer works, unless you're using Windows
>> XP. My Icom sound card scripts simulate this behavior by switching the
>> audio input back and forth between the mic. and the internal sound
>> card of the radio with each message.  But using voice memories works
>> even better, and Win-Test scripts can support those too.  Another
>> option is to use the PTT signal from Win-Test to open a small relay,
>> muting your mic.
>
> I think that relay makes the most sense to keep the FT1000 working a
> little longer so I can agonize over radios for a while. The audio
> quality in and out of my sound card (which has NO 3.5mm connectors I'll
> add) is great. I hate fiddling with all those mickey mouse connectors on
> the 1275.
>
> Just had another thought - the 1275 should be able to be used as-is as a
> PTT controlled mic disconnect, without routing any other audio thru it.
> Should have tried that already. Will only need to provide an adapter to
> go from the 8 pin connector to an XLR.

I have my audio working beautifully now, with with 1275 merely muting
the mic, and an audio isolation transformer between the radio and the
sound card. Now that I know what works, I have ideas for a lean & mean
all-in-one audio interface box. Unless I spring for a commercial appliance.

BTW I received word that the Interface Genius is not in production at
the moment while they re-do their firmware. Could mean any number of things.

One question about your scripts: do your Yaesu scripts access the CW &
voice memories of the later Yaesu radios (like the 5000) without any
drawbacks?

Thanks,
-Steve K8LX