[WT-support] Two winkeys not possible

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Feb 20 23:26:24 CET 2018

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 11:28 PM, Dimitar Krastev <mitazi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder why it is not possible to have more than one WinKey installed?

Well, the WinKey is already designed to support two radios, but I have a
suggestion.

I have installed two MIcroham Microkeyer II interfaces and want to use them
> as 1st and second radio. When I try to setup second Winkeyer I've got "Only
> one winkey is allowed". I do not mind SO2R interface blocks, because I
> simply want to use the second radio for my VHF activities, while my primary
> radio is the HF rig. They will not be used at the same time anyways. Nor
> even in the same contest :)

Very good, this makes the solution very easy:  use two different Win-Test
.ini files.

First, an important Windows usage tip (no reason not to do this on all
Windows 10 computers):  Change the File Explorer options.

By default, File Explorer *hides* file extensions (the .ini part), often
obscuring the complete file name, causing lots of confusion and mistakes
and headaches.

In the Windows 10 Search box, type *Explorer Options* (or locate the *File
Explorer Options* shortcut in the Windows Control Panel)

   1. Run the *File Explorer Options* shortcut
   2. Click the *View* tab
   3. Scroll down and then Uncheck *Hide extensions for know file types*
   4. Click *Apply*
   5. Click *OK*

File Explorer will now always display complete file names, including the
".ini" part.

Suggested workaround for two WinKeys, one for HF rig, one for VHF rig.

Use the default *wt.ini* file for the HF rig, selecting WinKey #1 only.
Use *wt.vhf.ini* for the VHF rig, selecting WinKey #2 only.  Create and use
a new Win-Test shortcut specifying the *-i wt.vhf.ini* option for your VHF
rig using WinKey #2.

Step-by-step for those who may not know how to locate, copy, and create a
new .ini file and Win-Test shortcut:

   1. Start Win-Test (Properties should already be set to "Run as an
   Administrator", otherwise this will probably not work)
   2. Open your HF log
   3. Type *SETUP* [Enter] in the Win-Test logging window (or click Options
   | Configure Interfaces ... if you are better at clicking than typing)
   4. Enable the COM port of the WinKey #1 connected to the HF Rig by
   checking the box, then click *OK*
   5. Verify Proper operation of the WinKey on the HF rig
   6. From the Win-Test menu, select *File | Explore | /cfg directory* to
   open File Explorer
   7. Exit Win-Test to save all the HF settings in *wt.ini* (this leaves
   File Explorer open)
   8. Using File Explorer, copy the *wt.ini* file to a new file named
   *wt.vhf.ini**:*
      1. *Right click on **wt.ini** and select **Copy*
      2. *Right click on a blank spot in the /cfg folder, and select *
      *Paste*
      3. *Right click on the file named **wt - Copy.ini**, and select *
      *Rename*
      4. Type *wt.vhf* and press [Enter] to rename the copy to *wt.vhf.ini*
   9. Exit File Explorer
   10. In the Windows Start Menu, Right Click on the Win-Test shortcut,
   then select *More -> Open file location*
   11. Copy the Win-Test shortcut to a new shortcut named *Win-Test VHF* in
   the same start menu folder (Administrator privileges required)
   12. Right click on the *Win-Test VHF* shortcut and select *Properties*
   13. Change the *Target* of the shortcut to
   "C:\Program Files (x86)\Win-Test\wt.exe" -i wt.vhf.ini
   14. Close File Explorer
   15. In the Start Menu, Win-test Folder, click on the new *Win-Test VHF*
   shortcut.
   16. Type *SETUP* [Enter] and change this version to use WinKey #2 only
   (uncheck WinKey #1).
   17. Verify proper WinKey operation on theVHF rig.
   18. Exit Win-Test to save the changes

Now you can click the *Win-Test* shortcut to use WinKey #1 with the HF Rig,
and the *Win-Test VHF *shortcut to use WinKey #2 with your VHF Rig.

Of course, any changes to Win-Test options or settings may need to be made
twice, once to each shortcut, depending on the change, since they now use
separate and independent configuration files.