[WT-support] McAfee Attacking Win-Test?

Hal Offutt hal at japancorporateresearch.com
Tue Dec 12 03:20:41 CET 2017

Hello,

Something strange just happened with Win-Test.

I had WT open and was just about to create log files for the just-ended
ARRL 10M contest.  Suddenly I got a notice from McAfee saying that it
had isolated a virus called Real Protect-SS!FA464A3BE006.  Then Win-Test
closed.  I clicked on the shortcut to open Win-Test again and got a
message saying WinTest.exe has been deleted, the short-cut doesn't work
and do I want to delete the shortcut?  The Gateway laptop in question is
running Windows 7.

I checked McAfee's security history and found this entry:

quote

Virus or Threat Found:

Threat Name:  Real Protect-SS!FA464A3BE006

Scan-type:  Real Time

We found one or several threats on your PC

Threat Name:  Real-Protect-SS!FA464A3BE006

Process:  c:\Program Files (x86)\win-test\wt.exe

unquote

It sounds like McAfee has falsely identified WT as a virus.  If I go to
McAfee's quarantined items page, I can select win.ini and restore it.
Should I do this and will this solve the issue?

I've been using both WT and McAfee for many years and have never seen
anything like this.  Anyone else had this problem?

73, Hal W1NN/JA