[WT-support] Kenwood 990

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Nov 16 09:26:49 CET 2016

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Art Goddard <w6xd at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> Can the Kenwood 990 be keyed via the USB-to-RS-232 cable (like the K3) or
> is a keying device such as Winkeyer USB needed?

As far as I can tell from the TS-990S manual, there is no provision for
either on/off CW keying or PTT via RTS or DTR pin as with the K3 or the
newest Icom radios.

However, using my "Play" script for the TS-590S (download TS590scripts.zip
at http://bit.ly/wtscripts), you *can* use the radio's internal hardware
(the KY command) to translate text sent to the serial port into CW, but
this may not acceptable for contest use, since there is no type-ahead
possible.  You would have to enter a full callsign before pressing Insert
to send the exchange.  Or you can always send the callsign with paddles.
Paddles may be connected directly to the radio.

Nonetheless, I encourage you to download and install these TS590 scripts to
get other useful features such as clearing the RIT automatically after your
CQ message is sent.

For sending good CW with Win-Test, no Winkey is required.  All you need is
a keying circuit such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-CW-morse-code-keying-cable-with-opto-isolator-/
252634974042

Or you can use a legacy COM port keying circuit
<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Interfaces#COM-port_CW_keying> (buy pre-made
here
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/W2ENY-RS232-Computer-Key-Interface-CT-N1MM-CW-Type-/351072107524>)
with an FTDI USB-to-Serial adapter
<http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ftdi-future-technology-devices-international-ltd/CHIPI-X10/768-1138-ND/3103022>.
Avoid the cheaper Prolific USB-to-Serial adapters.  Most do not work
reliably.

If you don't have time to buy or build any of these, the Play script will
work fine in a message.  See the documentation in Readme_590scripts.txt