[WT-support] Win-Test in VHF/UHF Contests

Bernhard Buettner dl6rai at darc.de
Thu Nov 10 22:11:06 CET 2016

Hi Laurent,

>> (1) Allow searching by QTH locator in Check Partial and/or N+1
>> windows.
>
> (snip)
>
> I understand it's not exactly what you're looking for, but you can
> already enter a locator (or a partial - no wildcard allowed) in the
> callsign field and Shift+F10 to find logged callsign with that
> locator. But you already probably know this as it is the equivalent to
> search a callsign from a given "zone" for the HF contests.

Yes I know. Situation in real life is this:

- copy a QTH locator, missed the callsign (6 keys)
- to check if you worked a station in that locator, enter the locator in
the callsign field and Press F10 (double key press)
- you find that you probably haven't worked this one so you delete the
locator in the callsign field and enter it again in the locator field (6
times backspace and again 6 keys)
- only now you can enter the callsign and serial number (up to 8 keys
plus 3 for the serial number)

A lot of unnecessary typing. It would be much nicer this way:

- copy the locator (6 keys)
- to check, if already worked, enter it or partials of it in the locator
field; matching calls show up in the N+1 and Check Partial window
- Now you can either select or enter manually the callsign and serial
number (ideally mouse click and serial number)

Not sure if it can be achieved without touching too much old and
reliable code in Win Test, but that's the way the old DL2NBU MS DOS
software worked back in the previous century, hi..

>> (3) The menu entry File | Update Database obviously has no function in
>> VHF contest. It would be great to update the DB from within Win-Test.
>> After all, we tend to work the same stations from QTH over and again.
>> Bug seems to be open on flyspray since a long time.
>
> I just tried, and it obviously works for me ;-) Why do you think it
> has no function ? Have you compared the vhf.dtb before and after the
> command ?

Yes, there is no change here. Maybe I am missing something?

- I have my log open from previous weekend's MMC (192 QSOs)
- vhf.dtb has 143360 bytes and is dated 20 June 2009
- I go to File | Update Database
- a short flash is displayed on the screen, it says something like "in
progress ... 100%" - shows up very shortly
- vhf.dtb has not changed

73 Ben, DL6RAI
---
Bernhard Büttner
dl6rai at darc.de
Obere Dorfstrasse 21, 86556 Stockensau, Germany
+49 (0) 8257 9276757