[WT-support] Icom - direct connection to PC

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon May 16 19:33:35 CEST 2016

The Icom USB driver lists all of the supported radios.  See

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/IC-7600/usb1_20/

for the current list, which includes:

IC-7100
IC-7200
IC-7300
IC-7410
IC-7600
IC-7850
IC-7851
IC-9100

All of these radios include a virtual COM port and a USB sound card, but to
use the sound card with Win-Test as a voice keyer, additional scripts are
required.  See http://bit.ly/wtscritps (IcomScripts.zip).

Note:  The IC-7200 doesn't have a voice monitor, so you can't record new
voice messages with it using Win-Test.

At present, sending RTTY, CW and PTT via virtual COM port pins (created by
USB driver) is only supported by

IC-7300
IC-7850
IC-7851

Unfortunately, the IC-7300 only creates ONE virtual COM port, so you can't
use MMTTY and Win-Test with it at the same time.  The 7850/7851 create two.

For the IC-7300, you need a second serial port cable with a CI-V adapter
for rig control alone, like this one:

http://w2eny.com/single_civ/

Plus a USB-to-Serial adapter (FTDI-type highly recommended, such as those
made by GearMo).

Then you can dedicate the radio's virtual COM port to MMTTY, and dedicate
the CI-V adapter port to Win-Test.