[WT-support] Serial communication log available?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Mar 8 17:43:46 CET 2016

Speculation:  perhaps Win-Test is initially testing the radio's virtual
serial port by opening it a a very slow baud rate, like 1200 baud, a rate
that is not supported by the emulator.  Win-Test recently corrected a
similar issue with an FT-991 virtual serial port used for CW and PTT, where
the device type was set to "Other device."  The baud rate was too slow and
the port couldn't be opened.

Furthermore, when using the new K3S with a USB cable and the built-in
Silicon Labs serial port emulation, I've noticed upon starting Win-Test
that it often returns a pop-up message "Could not open Radio 1 on COM10,
retry?"  The retry always succeeds and there are no problems after that.

I'm wondering if this indicates that something is wrong with the very first
attempt that Win-Test makes to open a K3 serial port, one that only affects
virtual serial ports supported via USB, but not legacy (hardware) serial
ports