[WT-support] Unable to run NIGHTLY!

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Jul 20 05:48:52 CEST 2016

I can replicate the problem.  It looks like a bad development build.

The error message is:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration
is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line
sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

In the Window Event Viewer, under Windows Logs, Application, I see:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\WT4\wt_dev.exe".Error in
manifest or policy file "C:\WT4\wt_dev.exe" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.

Note that there are only two updates in WT 4.22.0-dev compared to WT 4.21:

4.22.0-dev

- Bugfix : IARU HF : If an HQ was 2 character long, it was ignored.

- Additional CW and RTTY variables :
  - $LOC4 and $GRID4 are equivalent to $GRIDFIELD.
  - $LOC6 and $GRID6 are equivalent to $GRIDSQUARE or $LOCATOR.

So I recommend installing WT 4.21 for now.  The the prior development
build, in the *archives* folder:

http://download.win-test.com/v4/nightly/archives/wt_dev_2016_06_22-19_51_42.zip

appears to be essentially identical to WT 4.21 (without Italian language
support), so you don't need to try it.