[WT-support] AUTOCW on Secondary Radio?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Feb 9 23:05:31 CET 2016

Maybe there is confusion because normally you would use the secondary radio
to check multipliers, but that's not the case here, because we're
discussing the behavior when the secondary radio is set to RUN mode, not
S&P mode.

Why should RUN mode + AUTOCW in the Primary radio window operate
differently than RUN + AUTOCW in the Secondary radio window?

When the Secondary radio window is active (yellow background) what's the
difference between typing 4 characters and pressing [Insert] to start
sending vs. typing 3 characters and typing the 4th to start sending?  Both
actions will immediately interrupt sending on the Primary radio *unless* you
wait for that sending to complete before you press that last key.

For consistency alone, if both windows are set to RUN mode (there are
independent settings, one for each window), I think both windows should
work the same with respect to AUTOCW.

The way it works now seems to be a coding oversight, not the intended
behavior.  AUTO-Sending was added in version 3.0.1, long before RUN/S&P
switching was added in version (3.13.0), so maybe this AUTOCW behavior made
sense in the old days, when you could not set the Secondary radio to RUN
mode, but it doesn't make much sense now.