[WT-support] LPT pins for SO2R

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Aug 25 12:43:53 CEST 2016

When pin 5 (or 9) is HIGH, stereo is ON (R1R2).  When it is LOW, stereo is
OFF, and you get R1R1 or R2R2, depending on thestate of pin 4, "headphones
control."

But, this only works with real LPT ports.  USB-to-parallel (LPT) adapters
only work with printers.  They *do not work* for CW keying, PTT, SO2R, etc.
because programs get no direct access to all the required pins.

*Instead, you may** use **USB-to-serial* adapters and control all SO2R
functions with the RTS (pin 7) and DTR (pin 4) serial port pins instead of
using the LPT pins.  But you will need *three serial ports* to control: (1)
CW & PTT, (2) Stereo & RX focus, and (3) Active TX with serial ports, since
the are only two pins per serial port.

The pin function is defined by the COM port settings dialog in Win-Test.

If your laptop has an ExpressCard slot,  you can add a real LPT port
instead of using three USB serial ports.