[WT-support] Band data output

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Sep 28 19:41:58 CEST 2015

If your radio has a band data output, that's the best way to drive a band
decoder, because it works even when your computer is off or you reboot.
But, are you using a TS-590 with no band data outputs?

USB to Parallel port adapters will not work.

You could try an RS-232 port sniffer, but I have no experience with this:

http://www.stockcorner.nl/index.php/component/jshopping/product/view/12/37?Itemid=0

Real LPT ports (DB-25 parallel ports) can still be added to most notebook
computers via an ExpressCard slot, or to most desktop computers via PCIe
card, giving you many useful output pins on a single connector (CW keying,
PTT, 4-pin Band Data, TX Focus, RX Focus, Stereo On/Off, and 4-6 msg pins
for External DVK).  This is supported by Win-Test.  But only for one
radio.  If you are doing SO2R with two TS-590s, this will not work.

The microHAM MK2R+ lets you copy BCD data for both radios to the 25-pin ACC
connector on the back, providing similar function with a single USB
connection.

With USB to COM adapters, you only get two useful pins per port (RTS &
DTR).  Four pins are needed for BCD data.  So you would need to dedicated
two COM ports and combine them to get BCD data, which could work, but it
would be quite a mess of wiring compared to using an SO2R box like the
MK2R+ or an RS-232 sniffer.  Win-Test would also have to be modified to
split the BCD data to two ports.  You would need to dedicate four serial
ports to get BCD data for two radios.