[WT-support] Any advantage of switcing from DX Doubler to Microham ?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Sep 11 19:02:20 CEST 2015

The DX Doubler is certainly sufficient if you're not interested in
operating RTTY or digital modes, Phone, or recording contest audio from two
stations.

The microHAM MK2R+ provides a lot of extra capability with a single USB
connector (and it can also use your existing LPT line for reliable "Classic
SO2R" switching like you're using with the DX Doubler).

It packages reliable USB-to-Serial adapters, two USB sound cards (USB Voice
CODEC, USB Audio CODEC) with properly isolated audio interfaces to the
radio, RTTY (FSK or AFSK), and other digital mode interfaces, a WinKey, LPT
or COM port keying interfaces, and an audio mixer, into a single box.
Custom cables and connectors for both radios are included.

It also supports dual footswitches, knobs for setting record and stereo mix
levels, complex audio switching buttons (listen/record VFO A/B/Both on
Radio 1/2, computer controlled or manual), record stereo line out or "What
You Hear" (headphone audio), "first one wins" or "last one wins" SO2R
logic, as well as relay sequencing for external receive pre-amplifiers and
older and slower linear amplifiers.

But, it's a complex box, probably the most complex piece of ham equipment
that you will ever try to configure.  There is good documentation on the
microHAM web site, including well-documented examples of how to set it up
for Win-Test and MMTTY.