[WT-support] New Win-Test LUA scripts for Kenwood TS-590, TS-990, TS-2000, Elecraft KX3

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Mar 9 10:09:14 CET 2015

I've created two new sets of LUA scripts to support the Kenwood and
Elecraft radios listed above, but I need some beta testers.  Please
download the scripts from

http://bit.ly/wtscripts

TS590scripts.zip - for the Kenwood TS-590, TS-990, TS-2000
KX3scripts.zip - for the Elecraft KX3 (some also work on the K3)

The usual commands Swap A/B, A=B, ClearRIT are supported, plus some unique
features.

New to these zip files are "Install" and "Uninstall" scripts that you can
run from the new "Run" button in the Scripts manager (new in WT_DEV 4.16,
required).  The install script assigns all the keys and text commands to
the scripts in one step, greatly automating set-up.  The uninstall removes
the key assignments.

New also is support for the internal CW keyer and voice keyer of the radio,
including the ability to do almost all CW messaging functions using only
the radio's internal keyer, via CAT commands, with no keying circuit,
WinKey, or extra COM port required.  I've tested this on a K3 and KX3, but
I don't know if it will work well on the Kenwood radios, so I could use
some help testing.

Those on an ultraportable QRP DXpedition with the Elecraft KX3, will only
need a computer and a KUSB or KSER cable to send contest messages on CW.
They should also work with the K3, perhaps even on RTTY (CW-to-DATA not
tested).

Thanks to the new features in WT 4.16-dev, many message variables like
$MYCALL, $LOGGEDCALL, $PREVCALL, $RST, $SERIAL, $PREVSERIAL, $CORRECT, etc.
can be supported for the first time and translated to radio CAT commands to
send the CW.

There are some limitations, of course, when using the radio's limited
ability to translate ASCII commands to CW, e.g., completing a callsign
while typing ahead of the CW is not supported (you need to type the full
call before pressing Insert or Enter to send it) .  Similarly, with Alt+K
"keyboard" messages, you have to type the text and press Enter before
anything is sent.  A real keying circuit or WinKey will work better, but
this is a backup system in case you need it, and it sends perfect CW at all
supported speeds, no delays.

Please read the Readme files inside the Zip files for full details.

Since these scripts are supported by me, not by the Win-Test developers,
please contact me directly with any issues or questions, rather than
posting to the list.

Thanks to OH1VR for lending me his KX3 for testing, and to R8CT for
inspiring me to create something new for the Kenwood radios.