[WT-support] so2r with two keyboards and one pc

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Sat Dec 5 14:45:19 CET 2015

I have always used two keyboards and two computers which is a nuisance at times
and can be a physical space issue, but for ease of use, logging, backup and the ability to use the
other computer for statistics – reading the earlier part of the log while you are operating, etc. -
IMO two keyboards and two computers are the best way to go.  At least that is true from a home station
that you do not need to transport.  For someone operating as DX from a “field-day” type
setup (like WRTC) I think that two laptops would be the best way to go and to take two keyboards
with you.  (Some op’s feel more comfortable typing on a keyboard vs. a laptop pad).

I have operated WRTC both ways with laptops and with laptops + external keyboards – practicing both
ways will let you know what method works best for you.  Efficiency, comfort operating and lack
of mistakes typing are critical to achieving the highest possible rates – so each op should
figure out what works best for himself – and if you are in a multi environment – what also works best
for “the team”.

What I would like to find is two really small keyboards with the minimum necessary number of keys to
minimize the physical space required.  Some old Dell WIN XP computers of mine had these
wonderful narrow and small keyboards that were very well built (unlike there cheapies made later)
but I can’t find them anymore.  I am sure that they still exist – perhaps someone reading here can direct
me to a website where I can find them.  The dimensions are 17” wide by 5” high.

Since I still also use CT DOS (insert laughter here) for some contests I have also had trouble
finding DOS keyboards that are small and narrow.  Again, hopefully reading here knows of a source
and can direct me to it.

73

Bob KQ2M