[WT-support] Win-Test Install ?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Aug 13 01:56:12 CEST 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Geoffrey Burns <ne3k at comcast.net> wrote:

> I recently had to re-install my computer after a crash. I messed something
> up somehow, and cannot get Win-Test to re-install properly.
>
> Where (besides (Program Files) do I need to look to wipe all traces of the
> program from my computer? I tried to un-install it through Windows Control
> Panel, but it still just locks up before allowing me to load a contest or
> start a new one when I run it.

A solid hang at start-up with no message at all, not even a blank screen,
is very unusual.

To prevent Win-Test from automatically loading a file, run it from a
command prompt:

Start, Run, cmd.exe
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Win-Test"
wt -n

But first, be sure wt.exe is not already running. Open the Windows Task
Manager (shortcut:  Ctrl-Shift-Esc).  Click on "Image name" (click on the
column title) to sort by name.  Locate wt.exe.  There could be several
copies running at the same time.  Right click on each, left click on End
Process Tree.

Then see if Win-Test will start normally.  If not, kill the wt.exe task
again (as described previously), and uninstall should succeed.

Win-Test is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Win-Test\  (on Windows 64
systems).

Configuration files are stored in C:\ProgramData\Win-Test or C:\User\
*your-login-id*\Appdata\Roaming\Win-Test.

These folders may be hidden by default.  To view them, change Windows so
that you can see hidden files and folders, and also view full file names
complete with extensions (.wt4, .exe, etc.). Please read this section
<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Check_Partial_and_Np1_Files#Viewing_hidden_files_and_folders>
of the online documentation (Wiki) for step-by-step instructions explaining
how to make folders and full file names visible on Windows.

When you re-install Win-Test, be sure to right click on the installer and
select  "Run as Administrator", even if you are signed in with an
Administrator ID.

Finally, after installing Win-Test, before you run it, right click on the
Win-Test icon, Properties, Compatibility, check "Run this program as an
administrator", and click OK.

Win-Test will probably start in demo mode.  You will have to paste your old
registration key into the Help | Register Software page.  If that doesn't
work, following the instructions for obtaining a registration key:

http://bit.ly/registerwt