[WT-support] mp3 recordings from several stations merged crash on fast forward/rewind

Alexander Kurpiers a.kurpiers at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 11:07:40 CEST 2014

Hi Bob,

thank you for your feedback.

On 10/09/2014 10:37 PM, Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Alexander Kurpiers
> <a.kurpiers at gmail.com <mailto:a.kurpiers at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     The crash is mentioned in the posting above, too, but I don't
>     understand
>     yet how to avoid it.
>

> As I wrote in that post
> <http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2010-April/079511.html>:
>
>     ... it is understandable that rewinding may not work if it has to
>     jump back and forth between .MP3 files recorded on two computers
>     when QSOs at a multi are interleaved in the log.  *So it's safer
>     to jump to the QSO rather than to rewind and fast forward when you
>     have two .MP3 files to play back from one log.*

Yes, for the "usual" use cases it would work. But unfortunately a QSO on
UHF/SHF can be considerably longer (3-5min) than what Win-Test
"expects", so what you hear in Play-QSO is just the end of it. You then
need to rewind to the beginning of the QSO -> crash.

Note that I find the features of the contest recorder absolutely
marvelous (especially the way to extract QSOs) and I did not expect to
be able to play QSOs of different stations from one merged log. But this
part works well indeed.
Also the support for time codes is well done.
So the part that crashes is probably (I hope) easy to fix and would make
a great feature really complete.

> You might find it easier to use this nice *new feature* of WT
> 4.14.0-dev <http://download.win-test.com/v4/nightly/wt_dev.zip> (the
> development version):
>
>     - New Goto Callsign edit menu (Shortcut Shift+Ctrl+G) to set the
>       cursor on a QSO with a given callsign. By default, the callsign
>       of the current QSO is searched. If it is empty (ie if the cursor
>       is set to the last (empty) line of the log), a dialog is opened.
>       The search is done backwards.

Perfect, that is an option I was already looking for.
I'll have a look.

> So instead of rewind, try:
>
>  1. Enter callsign of QSO you want to listen to, and press Ctrl-Shift-G
>  2. It will jump to the most recent QSO with that station
>  3. Press Ctrl-Shift-G to jump to older QSOs with the same station
>  4. Press Ctrl-Alt-Enter to play back the QSO
>  5. Press Ctrl-G [Enter] to return to last line in log

Yes, this is what you need. Unfortunately not enough for me (as I wrote,
I still need to rewind a bit to get to the beginning of the QSO).

> In step when you can also leave the callsign blank in the logging
> window, and just press Ctrl-Shift-G to be prompted for a call.
>
> However, if you want the crash to be fixed, you have to put all the
> files (merged .wt4, and all the corresponding .mp3s, maybe you wt.ini
> file as well) into a Zip file on the web somewhere, then send F6FVY *a
> link* to the file (URL), with explicit step-by-step instructions on
> how to reproduce the crash.  It's much easier to fix a problem if you
> can make it easy for him to recreate the problem.

Yes, no problem. I'll share a link with him with detailed instructions.

> But, what do you expect "Rewind 30 seconds" to do?  Switch recordings
> and play back the QSO made at that time (perhaps on a different
> computer), or just rewind in the current recording you are listening
> do, without switching .MP3 files?  Probably the latter would be more
> useful, but it might also be confusing.

No, of course just ff/rewind in the current recording. Anything else
would be too complicated and too confusing.

73' Alexander DL8AAU