[WT-support] Winkey Device Init Error caused by stuck paddle at power-up

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Nov 1 07:46:10 CET 2014

Running microHAM router version 8.5.3, micro2R v3.2, Winkey Rev 22,
Win-Test 4.14.

Win-Test displays "Winkey Device Init Error" as described below.  Paddles
don't work, no CW LEDs light on WinKey, no CW output from WinKey by any
means.  WinKey port MON trace shows no feedback from WinKey, only a few
commands sent to it (e.g., the first letter of message only).  WinKey port
shows "Open 1200 N 8 2" in Router.  Winkey Rev. not visible in Router.

After hours of rebooting and trying various power up sequences, we finally
discovered that the paddle plugged into the Winkey had a short.  The Winkey
doesn't seem to initialize properly if squeeze paddles are closed or the
key jack has some connectors shorted.

I don't know if this is the same for all WinKey products.  Is anyone else
able to duplicate this behavior?