[WT-support] WT-support] CORRECTING: Win-test newbie questions Part I

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Tue Jan 14 21:19:02 CET 2014

Great explanations – thank you Bob!

73

Bob KQ2M

From: Bob Wilson, N6TV
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:10 PM
To: Win-Test Reflector
Subject: Re: [WT-support] WT-support] CORRECTING: Win-test newbie questions Part I

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Bob Shohet, KQ2M <kq2m at kq2m.com> wrote:

  If both computers are already able to browse the Internet, then they already have IP addresses (using Windows DHCP is the easiest way to do this).  These will work fine in a Win-Test local network in most cases.

  Win-Test local network?

I just meant that they should work fine in your LAN (Local Area Network).

  Does this mean that I can not have both Win-Test computers connected to the same 24 port switch to which my other (non-Win-test) computers are connected?  The switch is connected to my Cisco Cable Modem (Charter Internet) and Linksys Router as follows:

  Charter Internet –>Cisco Cable Modem->Linksys Router->24 Port Switch->Win-Test computers and other computers

You can plug all computers into the same switch, and you generally must get IP addresses assigned by the same router.  So what you have should work fine.  Win-test sends "broadcast" packets (UDP) to every computer connected in your LAN, but only the computers running Win-Test will look at them; the rest of the computers will ignore them, and you should notice no impact on your network at all.

The easiest thing to do is open a Windows command prompt (Start, Run, CMD.EXE), and in the command prompt window, type IPCONFIG [Enter].   This will display the "IPV4 address" of the machine, e.g. 192.168.0.2.  If the two machines only differ in the 4th number (e.g. 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.15), then they are on the same "subnet" and the broadcast system will work fine.  But you still have to click that "By default" button in Win-Test on both computers so that both use the same broadcast address.

If the two IP addresses are more different, e.g. 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.1.11, then things get more complicated.

  Thank you – that is very helpful!  I assume that if for some reason the two computers have different address values, then I should manually change the address on the 2nd computer to that of the first computer, correct?

Don't manually change any addresses.  Each computer will have a unique IP address already.  Chances are very high that clicking the "By default" button on both will be all the setup you need to do.  Just do that, keep Win-Test running on both, type Alt-G (gab), and whatever message you type should show up on the other computer, and vice versa.   Then you know your network is set up correctly.