[WT-support] CORRECTING: Win-test newbie questions Part II

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Jan 14 00:04:31 CET 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Bob Shohet, KQ2M <kq2m at kq2m.com> wrote:

>   Aha!  So the two computers are then networked together via Win-test?
> So that is different than CT Windows where I needed to have both
> computers connected to the switch via USB cables?

 I think you may have USB cables, serial cables, and Ethernet cables mixed
up.  In the old days CT used serial ports for networking (not USB), but
there was also basic Ethernet support added at one time.  As I said, if
both computers can access the Internet, then they are already networked
well enough for Win-Test, no new cables needed, no serial port networking
needed.  Win-Test uses standard networking protocols (that is, the same
ones that Windows XP uses), usually based on Ethernet.

>  Looking at the Nel-Tech manual<http://www.nel-techlabs.com/manuals_legacy/dvk100m.pdf>I don't see any way to control it via computer.   Or do you already have
> that working with CT?
>
> I used the headset audio to feed the directly into the input of the DVP
> card which was installed into the computer (and works
> with DOS but not Windows).
> The DVP had two outputs – output which I fed into into the input of the
> DVK and the other output which fed directly into
> the mic jack on the Yaesu.  When I pressed the appropriate keyboard key,
> the DVP keyed the radio with the selected
> DVP message.

I don't understand why you would have two audio outputs connected in series
to a Mic. jack, unless you needed 8 messages instead of 4.  As you know,
the K1EA DVP board will not work at all with Win-Test.  I would abandon the
external DVKs for now and just try to get the sound card working as a voice
keyer.

>   is there an external voice-keyer that is known to work well with
> WinTest and WIN XP computer soundcards?

The sound card (+ Win-Test) *is* the voice keyer.  The MFJ-434 could work
instead, but since it needs to be controlled by the same parallel port that
you need to connect to the DX Doubler, you would need to buy a 25-pin
Y-adapter like this
one<http://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-Parallel-Y-Splitter-Printer-YS-005/dp/B008RAZXN4>
so
that you could connect both your voice keyer and your DX Doubler to the
same port.  Unfortunately, I can't tell if this Y-adapter has all the
required pins connected (you need pins 2,3,4,5, and 6 (optionally 7 and 8)
for the DVK, and pins 9, 14, 16, and 17 for stereo ON/OFF, TX Focus, PTT,
and CW keying via the DX Doubler.  Pin 4 can also be used for independent
headphone switching, so you can put both ears on Radio 2 while Radio 1 is
transmitting.  But since the DVK also wants to use Pin 4, you won't be able
to do both, which is why you should try to use the sound card solution
first, before trying to get an external voice keyer to work.  Furthermore,
automatic repeating CQ only works with sound card voice keying (because
then Win-Test knows the length of each voice message).  Repeating CQ
doesn't work with external voice keyers.