[WT-support] Win-test newbie questions

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Mon Jan 13 16:44:09 CET 2014

Hi,

I am converting to Win-Test from CT DOS and I have some questions which are
incredibly basic (for you guys) because I am somewhat bewildered and confused
by the complexity of an electronic switching setup and sheer amount of what I have not yet learned.

I am using two FT1000MP’s in an SO2R setup with two WIN XP computers which have an LPT port
that I intend to use for keying with the W1WEF interface.

I have the Top Ten DX doubler, two Top-Ten Band Decoders, Six A-B switches and two Dunestar 600’s
for BPF’s that will ultimately all be hooked up.  I am using an AL1500 on Radio 1 and an Acom2000A on Radio 2.

I would like to set up all of this so that I when I hit the freq. buttons on the ‘MP, I will automatically and electronically
switch all antennas, radios and the Acom2000A.  I also want to be able to have WinTest access the soundcards in my WIN XP
computers provide voice keying.

Before I tackle the entire setup, I want to get the basics working, starting with the DX doubler and Win-test
and the 2 radios.  So here are my questions:

1) I believe that it is best to connect the DX doubler to the RS232 ports of each ‘MP and then use that output
to drive Win-test and all the switching of the other devices, correct?

2) Then does Win-test automatically sense the correct active ports in each computer to use, as well as the best radio settings or do I
need to configure them specifically for the FT1000MP?  I assume that these radio settings should be identical to the ones
that I used in CT DOS?

3) If I understand correctly, Win-test asks you to manually assign ip addresses to each radio.  Since
I have all devices connected to a 24 port switch connected to a LinkSys router, do I still need to manually set this?
Ordinarily  the router/switch assigns the ip addresses.  I assume that I need to connect each computer
directly to the switch like in CT windows?

4) I want to have the keying from each computer through the LPT port.  Do I still need to download and
install the DLPortio file on each computer?  Would I install this file in one of the Win-test subdirectories?

5) How will Wintest know how to access the soundcard in each computers to let me control the
Voice Keying functions?  Am I better off connecting the original Nel-Tech DVK 100 or using a MFJ-434?

If any of you have used the original K1EA DVP, how does the voice keying with Win-Test and a “stock” computer soundcard
compare to the DVP?

I know that I will have many more very basic questions as I get started on this and I thank the list in advance
for their understanding and patience with my beginner questions as I make this transition.

73

Bob KQ2M

kq2m at kq2m.com