[WT-support] Amp cuts off part of the "DIT"

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Aug 20 20:10:41 CEST 2014

Is the red "PTT" LED lighting up on the RigExpert when the radio is keyed
by Win-Test?  If not, it means that you haven't defined a PTT pin to
Win-Test (on the RigExpert CW/PTT port), and there is potential for the
first character to be chopped.

If the PTT LED is not lighiting:

   1. In Windows, click Start | All Programs | RigExpert Standard | *Show
   serial ports*
   2. Note which COM port is labeled *RigExpert Standard PTT/CW Port*, e.g.
   COM4
   3. In Win-Test, type *SETUP *[Enter] in the logging window
   4. Change COM4 (or the port listed in step 2) to *Other Interface* using
   the drop-down list, then press the *[Configure...]* button on that same
   line
   5. Set *DTR* (pin 4) to *CW* (unless you are using a WinKey or LPT port
   for CW keying, in which case set it to Always OFF)
   6. Set *RTS *(pin 7) to *PTT*
   7. Press *OK*
   8. In the Interfaces configuration menu, top right, set PTT ON delay
   (ms) to 15 ms
   9. Press *OK* again
   10. The PTT LED should light when Win-Test transmits.  If not, the
   RigExpert is defective.

To verify that it's working, try temporarily setting the "PTT ON delay
(ms)" to 1000 ms (1 full second), and verify that PTT is closed 1 full
second before Win-Test starts transmitting CW.  Then set it back to 15 ms
or whatever works best.

Note, however, that if your current semi break-in configuration is chopping
the leading CW character sent by Win-Test, then it is probably doing the
same when you are sending CW by hand, something Win-Test has no control
over.  You therefore must slow the TX Delay in the radio via "TX Delay
(HF)” and "TX Delay (50M)" settings in the "Others set mode" menu of the
IC-7800.  Don't make the value too high or else the first dot before a
relay closure may be shortened too much inside the radio.

Finally, if you are keying the RigExpert via a connection to the low
voltage ACC1 or ACC2 connectors on the IC-7800, instead of the "Relay"
connector, you may need to use the circuit shown on the bottom of page 1-14
in the IC-7800 manual, which states "When the SEND terminal controls the
inductive load (such as a relay), a counter-electromotive force can cause
the transceiver’s malfunction or damage. To prevent this, we recommend
adding a switching diode, such as an
"1SS133," on the load side of the circuit to the counter-electromotive
force absorption.  When the diode is added, a switching delay of the relay
may occur. Be sure to check its switching action before operation."

Maybe the Expert 2 amplifier has this circuit built in, and that's what
causing the problem?  If so, it can be fixed using the software settings
described above.