[WT-support] Win-test and IC-7100

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Sep 21 10:26:34 CEST 2013

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 12:41 AM, SM3RAB <sm3rab at telia.com> wrote:

>   Then, if it doesn´t support CW/PTT, what´s the other COM-port for? I
> can see COM 3(used for CI-V) and COM 4 when directly connected via USB
> between radio and PC and I haven´t any interface...yet.
> 73´s de SM3RAB

Well, this really isn't a Win-Test question.  It would be better to post
this to the IC-7100 Yahoo
Group<http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/icom7100/info>.

In the mean time, I downloaded the IC-7100
manual<http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/disp_down.php?SWT=&ID=20130606010&GNR=Amateur&TYPE=Mobile&PDNM=IC-7100&INQWORDSWT=Yes&INQWORD=7100>,
and did a FIND (Ctrl+F) for "Serial".

On page 1-18, I found the following:

   - Two COM port numbers are assigned to the [USB] connector.  One of them
   is “USB1,” used for cloning and CI-V operation. The other one is “USB2,”
   whose function is selected in “USB2 Function” item of the “Connectors” Set
   mode. (p. 17-25) SET > Connectors > USB2/DATA1 Function > USB2 Function

On page 17-25:

*USB2 Function*
Connectors > USB2/DATA1 Function > USB2 Function (USB2 Function)

Two COM port numbers are assigned to the [USB] connector.  One of them is
used for cloning and CI-V operation (USB1).

Select the use of the other COM port (USB2).

   - OFF: Does not use the COM port (USB2).
      - RTTY: Decode used for RTTY decoded signal output.
      - DV Data: Used for low-speed data input and output.
         - If DATA1 Function is set to “GPS,” and GPS Out is set to
         “DATA1USB2,” the COM port (USB2) will be used for low-speed
data input and
         GPS data output.

This is not CW or PTT.  So, you either need to buy or build one of the
following:

   1. If your PC has no "real" serial ports or parallel ports, a
   USB-to-Serial adapter using FTDI or Eltima drivers (*not* Prolific),
   such as the Keyspan
USA-19HS<http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Hi-Speed-supports/dp/B0000VYJRY>
   .
   2. A COM port keying circuit, like this
one<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Interfaces#COM-port_CW_keying>.
    Use one transistor for DTR (CW) and a second one for RTS (PTT).

 -or-

   - K1EL Winkey <http://www.k1el.com/>

-or-

   - microHAM USB CW