[WT-support] Win-Test Setting --> Windows Freezes

R.S.Hradilek radekl at att.net
Mon Nov 11 01:14:58 CET 2013

I am fairly certain I've found a scenario that causes instability in
Windows XP. I include a longer narrative, which you don't need to
read unless you need further proof. So I start with:

CONCLUSION:

Under the "Options" Menu, "Disable log synchronization on network"
should be CHECKED if you are single op unassisted, or if you
otherwise have no other copies of the log on your "network" (or have
no network at all) to synchronize. By default, log synchronization is
enabled, even when the contest is configured for single op
unassisted.

NARRATIVE:

The shack PC at WX0B froze up about 5 times during the IARU and 3
times in the SS. In between, we did a fresh install of Windows to
deal with this and other instability.

About 3 weeks prior to the SS, while experimenting with remote
operation of the station, a 2nd problem occurred which turned out NOT
to be Win-Test related: Windows refused to shut down or re-boot. It
would ignore the command. What made the problem worse was when I ran
some Windows Updates. Since Windows Updates often need a re-boot (it
installs components which shutting down and re-booting), this left
Windows in a partially updated state - unstable. I could no longer
connect to the shack remotely. With contest season coming up, the
shack PC was shipped to me in Houston to clean up the problems.

I backed up the hard drive and re-installed XP and everything else
from scratch on a formatted hard drive. This included Win-Test and
all other applications and their configurations. BTW: A fresh install
of Windows usually cleans up a lot of problems, and a high percentage
of PC's need this, sooner or later.

After installing the client software for no-ip.org, the problem
returned where Windows wouldn't obey the shut down and re-boot
commands. Clue!!! After shutting down no-ip manually I could shut
down Windows or re-boot it. So I notified tech support at no-ip, they
acknowledged that it was a known issue, and sent me a link to their
previous version. After installing it, everything was fine. In other
word, the main reason I had to install Windows from scratch was the
problem with no-ip that I didn't know about.

During SS, Windows froze up again - 3 times in the first 12 hours. I
took my first break at about 0900z and spent an hour or so tweaking
my custom ESM script and others. In order to test, I needed to save
some test QSOs to my live SS log, then delete them. Win-Test didn't
allow the deletion, and the message told me to disable the log sync.
It then allowed me to delete my test QSOs, and I finished my testing.

There were no further Windows problems for the 2nd half of the
contest.

Thus, I conclude that the problem with Windows freezing is caused by
Win-Test attempting to synchronize a network log that doesn't exist.
Perhaps the log sync could automatically be disabled in contests that
are configured for single
op unassisted?

Roy -- AD5Q