[WT-support] CW transmission problem

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Mar 19 19:24:59 CET 2013

Matthias is correct.  That's the best solution for the speed jump problem,
if you must use a WinKey (which is not really required at all).  More
specifically:

   1. In the Win-Test logging Window, type *WKSETUP* [Enter]
   2. Set *CW Message and Paddle Speeds* to *Synchronized*
   3. Set *Speed Setting* to *Only by the Win-Test Commands (Alt-V/F9/F10)*
   4. Press *OK*
   5. Type *MSGS* [Enter] and remove *all* the ++ and -- symbols (speed
   changes) from every message.  You will now be more easily spotted by CW
   Skimmers too!
   6. Press *OK*

This will eliminate all CW speed jump issues.  The speed knob on the keyer
will be ignored.

Optional but recommended:  remap *PageUp* and *PageDown* to do your CW
speed changes.

   1. Type *DEFINEKEYS* [Enter]
   2. Click *Add*
   3. Press *PageUp* key
   4. Press *Alt+F10*
   5. Click *Add* again
   6. Press *PageDown* key
   7. Press *Alt+F9*
   8. Press *OK*

One should also keep in mind that Win-Test requires no WinKey at all.
 Win-Test sends excellent CW via real or virtual Serial Ports, and via real
Parallel Ports.  Even USB-to-Serial adapters (FTDI or Eltima, but not
Prolific) work well.  Some radios such as the K3 and FlexRadio support
on/off keying directly via the same serial cable used to control the radio,
so you don't even need a second COM port.  Use the radio's built-in keyer
for paddle-sent CW, and optionally use the K3 Win-Test scripts to
automatically keep the radio's internal keyer speed in sync with Win-Test's
CW speed (http://bit.ly/wtscripts).