[WT-support] K3 SSB mode change bug

Robert Chipperfield robert at syxis.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 01:27:27 CET 2012

Hi all,

Something I spotted at ZD9UW (but couldn't work out exactly what was
going on), then managed to reproduce at M4A over the weekend...

When using the K3 with WT in SSB, if I QSY by typing "20" or "40" etc,
WT appears to send the "change mode" command /before/ the "change band".
This means you can end up on the wrong sideband:

  * Start on 20m USB.
  * Type "40" in WT.
  * WT sends LSB to the K3 - which is still on 20m at this point, and
    stores that mode with the band - then QSYs to 40m. So far, the
    operator is unaware of a problem (now on 40m LSB).
  * Type "20" in WT.
  * WT sends USB to the K3, thus setting the mode for 40m to USB,
    followed by the QSY to 20m... which is set to LSB from the previous
    QSY 20m -> 40m.
  * At this point, both bands are set to the wrong sideband...

If you then click on a spot on the same band, for example, the problem
goes away, since it resets both the mode and frequency.

I've seen this with two different K3s, and two different installations
of WT on different machines, so I don't think it's anything I'm doing!

(By way of a fix, I think it's just the set mode / set frequency
commands that need to be sent the other way around, so it QSYs before
setting the mode...)

73,
Rob, M0VFC