[WT-support] Laptop sidetone

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Nov 30 21:14:19 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Bengt Christensen <sm6fud at telia.com>wrote:

>  I am trying to figure how to get the CW sidetone come out of my laptop
> speaker. It is an older Toshiba Satellite so there is just a mono speaker.
> I can not make WT to do this. The No Sound is unchecked and the Windows
> sounds come out correctly when testing. Radio is keyed and all is well in
> that direction. Still no CW sidetone.****
>
> I am hoping there are others been into this too?****
>
> 73 -  Ben SM6FUD

This is a hardware limitation of particular laptops.  See:

http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2009-October/078599.html

Just connect a keying line to a real radio, and monitor the radio's
sidetone.  If you have a K3, just key via COM port DTR pin, and set the rig
into TX TEST mode.

Type NOSOUND enter to avoid any keying timing problems that may be a side
effect of trying to send sound to the PC speaker.

One other trick, if you have no radio available.  Slow the speed way down,
press the memory key then quickly press Alt-K (keyboard CW) and you'll see
the CW text that is being sent by Win-Test echoed in the window.