[WT-support] Networking question: Internet from separate WiFi

Mark Bailey kd4d at comcast.net
Fri Nov 9 14:55:02 CET 2012

Hi John:

I do variants of this at two different mult-op stations.  What I usually
do is use a laptop with both a Wired and Wireless ethernet connection -
sometimes I use a desktop computer with a built-in wired ethernet
connection and an add-on card.  The Wireless connection gets an IP
address from a wireless router automatically (using DHCP) and it is
almost always an address like:

192.168.1.x or 102.168.2.x where "x" is in the range 1-254.   This would
be the WiFi connection at the hotel.

What I do is set the computer logging network up on another subnetwork.
I typically use:
10.10.10.x

for that network and assign static IP addresses.  I then assign the
WIRED ethernet connection on the laptop to an address on 10.10.10.x.

Then, Wtdxtelnet (I think that's the name of the program) can run on
that laptop, access a cluster node like ve7cc.net on the internet, and
broadcast the spots on the 10.10.10.x network.  That works well.

The same wireless adapter can't have two addresses, so you need a second
wired connection.  The laptop should have that built in. Your wireless
router probably has a built-in switch with four ports that you could
plug into - don't plug into the 5th ("WAN") port.  This "wiFi hub",
hopefully a switch, will be on the 10.10.10.x network.

If you have any questions, let me know.

73,

Mark