[WT-support] SCP files

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu May 10 19:52:03 CEST 2012

Rick,

All of these questions are answered in detail in this section of the
Win-Test documentation:

http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Check_Partial_and_Np1_Files

Brief answers inserted below.

I have also created a simple batch file that automatically retrieves and
updates multiple Win-Test files (SCP, DTA, CTY_WT_MOD.DAT, etc.), but some
basic computer skills are required to install and use the batch file.  Just
go to http://bit.ly/wtscripts, download UpdateCtySCP.zip, and view the
Readme file for instructions.  In the long run, installing and using this
script will save you a lot of time, especially if you must update Win-Test
super check and country files on multiple computers.

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Rick Dougherty NQ4I
<nq4i at contesting.com>wrote:

> do I download the .dta file? or do I
> download the MASTER file and rename it master.scp?

DO NOT rename MASTER.DTA to MASTER.SCP; they are in different formats.

You may download only MASTER.SCP (an ASCII text file, easy to edit).
 However, other programs such as CW Skimmer use MASTER.DTA (a binary file,
hard to edit), so you might as well download them all.  They contain
exactly the same data.

If both files are present, Win-Test will load MASTER.DTA.  Note that AD1C
maintains specialized super-check files for contests like ARRL DX and ARRL
Sweepstakes (MASTERDX.DTA, MASTUSVE.DTA, MASTERSS.DTA).  Win-Test will not
use these files automatically; the files must be renamed to MASTER.DTA.

All of these files should be saved in the databases folder.  To view this
folder, from Win-Test select File | Explore | /databases directory.  Then
drag and drop the files into that folder.

> How do I know which is being used and how current it is?

In Win-Test, right click on the Check Partials window to bring up a pop-up
menu, then left click on "Used files list ..." to display the file being
used, and the release date.

If the date is wrong, reload the log file and check again.  Quick shortcut
to do this:  type REOPENNNOW [Enter] in the Win-Test logging window.