[WT-support] Editing default CW messages (was Serial numbering problems)

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Jun 4 18:59:20 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 1:20 AM, Tõnno Vähk <tonno.vahk at gafm.ee> wrote:

> I do hope that the authors will do something about the serial number issue
> alongside with a few other things that I have been begging for like making
> CW default messages editable. I really hate always rewriting them in many
> computers before every contest.

To avoid doing that, you have a couple of options.  The easiest way is to
just use a copy of last year's contest log (.WT4 file) as a template, then
use the CLEARLOG command to empty it of all QSOs.  That way you can have a
different set of default messages for every contest type (CQ WW, WPX,
IARU).  The screen layout is also saved in the log.  You may wish to use
different screen layouts for each contest type.

Why would they not be editable in ini file?? Or have a choice of using user
> defined messages from ini file or something instead of default messages..
> the ALT-C messages are user defined now...

Correct, and these may be referenced as $MSG1, $MSG2, etc, in the Standard
CW Messages, making reprogramming all messages a bit less of a chore.  Just
define all of your "default" messages using Alt-C, then change the standard
messages to use $MSG1 - $MSG12 (every contest).

But I think the first method is the best; I never use "File | New" in
Win-Test.  I just copy an old log.  I also keep all logs in the same
directory to make the job easier.  I don't like using one folder per
contest, even though that is the Win-Test default.

You can change the default folder for logs using Options | Log | New
contest file Properties.