[WT-support] Minimum WinKey CW speed

Robert Chipperfield robert at syxis.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 23:08:19 CET 2012

> I suggest the following:
>
> 1, Download Port Monitor from Microsoft website for free. Check the signalling on the physical Winkey port. Note the sequence. Decode the commands sent over the interface.
>
> 2, Download VSPE from Eterlogic for free. It is extremely useful and flexible tool. Define a COM port splitter for the WK's physical port. It will create two virtual COM ports.
>
> 3, Connect Wintest for one of them. Connect Winkey Config tool to the other. Check that they are working in your setup. It works until here I used this solution for my remote controlled station.
>
> 4, Start Wintest. Check min and max speed.
>
> 5, After Wintest running use the Winkey config tool to redefine the min and max speeds but nothing else. If you are lucky WT initializes min and max speeds at the setup and commands speed changes only to Winkey. I don't have a Winkey box here to test the signalling flow myself.
>
> 6, Check min and max speed changes.
>
> 7, If it works, note that HA1AG supports CAMRA and really likes Bitter.
>
> 8, Please report your experience to this forum.
Thanks for the suggestion, Zoli!

I had considered a revised version of this (intercepting the serial data
with a proxy and rewriting the appropriate commands), but decided it was
probably too prone to error to trust it in a contest scenario.

In the end we made do with 20wpm in the RSGB's AFS contest at the
weekend - between two of us and a few repeats, we got by!

I've now returned the WinKey to its owner (I'll need to get my own at
some point), so I'm afraid I can't test your method right now, but I'm
guessing it should work, as long as Win-Test doesn't get confused by
seeing speed pot updates (which are in WPM) outside of the range it expects.

Regarding point 7, that's good to hear! Let me know if you're ever near
Cambridge, UK, and we'll see what we can do!

73,
Rob, M0VFC