[WT-support] Winkey

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Jan 8 20:39:41 CET 2012

If you have a K3 with a good serial port connection, you don't need a
WinKey at all when using Win-Test.

Win-Test can easily send well-timed CW to a K3 via ON/OFF keying, using the
same serial port cable that you already have connected between your
computer and radio (though some USB-to-Serial adapters may not work).  An
external keying circuit is *not* required.

   1. From the Win-Test menu, select *Tools | Interface
Configuration*(text command shortuct:
   *SETUP* [Enter])
   2. Uncheck the WinKey port
   3. Uncheck the LPT port (if checked)
   4. Press the *[Configure...]* button next the Radio 1 port
   5. From the drop-down list, set* DTR to CW* and *RTS to PTT*
   6. Press [OK]
   7. Press [OK]

>From the Elecraft K3 Menu, set *CONFIG:PTT-KEY* to *RTS-DTR*.

Win-Test will now send ON/OFF keying (CW, not CAT commands) to your radio
via the DTR and RTS pins.  CAT commands still work too.

Plug a paddle into the K3 and you can send by hand when required.  The
paddle will not override the computer-sent CW, so you have to press Escape
to make Win-Test QRT.  But you get used to that quickly.

Optional:  Use the the K3 LUA scripts I wrote to keep the K3 internal keyer
speed in sync with Win-Test (or 2 WPM less than the Win-Test keyer speed,
if you prefer).  Download the scripts from:

http://bit.ly/wtscripts (K3scripts.zip -- see Readme.txt file for
installation instructions)