[WT-support] Wrong Frequency logged on second radio contacts

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Nov 12 03:29:55 CET 2011

Well it sounds like you have eliminated Prolific USB-to-Serial ports as a
possible cause.

I don't think there is any hope of resolving the problem until you can
provide a lot more hardware and setup details, including firmware and
software versions, plus step-by-step instructions to replicate the problem,
at least once out of ten tries (assuming it happens intermittently).

So far, there are only two reported cases?

Do you notice the frequency ever being incorrect at the top of the bandmap
window?

I do notice (when using a micro2R with K3s) that when you first start
Win-Test, the displayed band may not match the radio frequency, but typing
SETUP [Enter] [Enter], or logging the first contact seems to reinitalize
everything and fix it.  That may or may not be a related issue.

What radio type are you using, or does it happen with all radio types?
 Does it happen when using radio type OmniRig?  How are you making QSOs on
the secondary radio?  Via Caps Lock or Shift key binds to secondary radio,
or by pressing [ * ] or Ctrl-S?  Or are you using automated scripts like
the AltD scripts to make QSOs on the secondary radio and quickly swap back
to the primary?

The MK2R+ will allow you to enable COM port communications logging,
something that will be helpful to capture if you can ever replicate the
problem.  It seems likely that a communications glitch between the computer
and the radio is the root cause of the problem.  Win-Test won't change
bands unless it detects a valid frequency on a new band, as returned by the
radio.

It's also possible that Win-Test has a timing issue if you are logging a
QSO on the secondary radio at exactly the same time that you are switching
focus back to the primary radio, though it seems like such a problem would
have been more widely reported.

If you have the option of using a real serial port via desktop plugin card
or ExpressCard or similar, and you still see the problem, that would prove
that Win-Test or the radio firmware is at fault, rather than the
USB-to-Serial converters or the microHAM software.

In sum, please provide as many details as you can, screen shots of the
Win-Test SETUP and microHAM Router screens as a start.